Vegan curry with chickpea, tomato & spinach
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves (or lazy garlic!)
- 3cm piece of grated ginger
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp yeast extract (or use Marmite!)
- 4 tbsp red lentils
- 6 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 head of broccoli – broken into small florets
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 100g bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds & one tbsp chopped cashews – mix together.
Put the onion, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes into a blender and mix until it becomes a puree.
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the spices. Fry them for around 20 seconds and then add the puree from the blender along with the yeast extract.
Let that bubble together for a couple of minutes and then add the lentils and coconut cream. Cook until the lentils are tender (around 20 minutes), and then add the broccoli and cook for around four minutes.
Stir in the chickpeas until hot and then slowly stir in the spinach until wilted, squeeze the lemon over the pan and mix in the sesame and cashew mixture.
We think this will taste great with some brown rice – so prepare some brown rice in the saucepan (or use packet rice) whilst the curry cooks.
Serve with some brown rice and enjoy!